Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 July 2011

The Secret of the Secret Garden

I have just read Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden, an intriguing book that follows the life of a young English girl abandoned on a ship bound for Australia at the turn of the century. It reminds me of my favourite children's story, The Secret Garden, written exactly a hundred years ago by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Although she wrote mainly for adults, the Victorian author captured the hearts of children the world over with this delightful tale.

The author's own secret was the tragic death of her 16-year-old son, a loss from which she never fully recovered. Written in his memory, the story provides the happy ending that she herself was denied. Born in Manchester, the family moved to the United States when she was a teenager and she spent much of her life travelling between the two countries. She was much criticised in the press for being away from her family and this affected her deeply when her son died of consumption.


The book fell out of favour until the 1960s when a new generation of children, and adults, took it to their hearts again.

I captured this shot in Guernsey, an island famous for its glorious gardens. What better place to read - and write?

6 comments:

clo said...

I loved that story too.........

AnotherGuernseygirl said...

A story from my childhood Andther Guernseygirl.O how i loved it

Guernsey Girl said...

I'm glad I'm in good company - thank you both.

Anonymous said...

I have never read it but I will do now :)

Elaineyross said...

I read this book in the 60's with my very best friend at that time - Jill Campbell. I'll always remember the powerful emotions that this story evoked. By the way, I absolutley love the 'photo that you have attached to this piece. Maybe you should take up another career? Watch out David Bailey!

Guernsey Girl said...

And maybe you should seek out Jill Campbell on Facebook - you just never know...