Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Why is my nickname 'Froggy...?'



Spot the frog


Yes, I'm always being asked why my nickname is Froggy. (No it's nothing to do with the bulging eyes or the fact that I' m hard to get hold of.)  I could tell you the story but then you may fall asleep and then you would never get to see the strange collection of frogs that I keep hidden (or not so hidden) round the house and garden.( Mr GG is kindly taking the photos for me at the moment, so that's a bottle of his favourite red I owe him) . Please do concentrate, fellow bloggers,  I said favourite red, not off his head, though the latter is probably more accurate after looking after  me  for what seems like months now.

Anyway, it's not as if I'm any trouble to look after.  Once up in the morning (it only takes a couple of hours) and happily settled on the sofa (sitting not permitted, on doctor's orders, this is my spine we're talking about) I then compile a list of things for my wonderful partner to do for the day. I won't enlighten you on this, either, as it's almost as long as the frog story) and then we discuss in which order I, sorry,  we, think the things should be done.

Between clearing the breakfast dishes, cleaning, ironing and collecting prescriptions, he checks that I have written the right amount of words each day and records this along with the hourly medication which I'm sure he would over-prescribe if only he had the courage. Anyway, it doesn't take him long to pick up all the things I have dropped on the floor (pens, paper, reference books, Thessoorus (never could spell that word as I thought it was a prehistoric animal till I was around 12) and then prepare my lunch.

It's annoying, isn't it, now that Spring is here that insides of the windows look smeared in the sunshine and he does so hate me looking through smeared windows. Fortunately, he's a very patient man (which reminds me - why does the recorded message at our local medical centre say "please be patient" - what else do they think we are?) so he usually gets to do his own thing round about three o'clock.


I just called out for him (I've mislaid the hand bell I used to use) and then the phone went and it was my (former) friend.  She said she'd heard he'd gone back-backing in France (in search of grenouilles probably) and had left a message that he didn't want to be disturbed... Oh well, at least I won't be lonely.... animals (unlike humans) never let you down.
















And this is the one that started it all ...

N.B The above is on loan from my very special friend Lesley Davison in memory of Patricia Simister

4 comments:

Hayley Middleton said...

This has made me smile - its like Im almost in the same room. It came to be like old times when I saw the photo at the end (god love Miss Simister)

Elaineyross said...

Having been personally introduced to all the frogs featured here, I can vouch for the fact that they do indeed seem to be having a positive effect on your recovery sis. The photographer, aka chief cook & bottle washer, has done a good job in capturing their many characteristics. Lets hope that you'll be leaping about very soon!

Guernsey Girl said...

Brilliant to hear from you, Hayley. A few people have said they can't reply on my blog which is such a shame, as it puts them off trying again. Hope to see you again soon when I'm on my feet again. Here's to Patricia Simister!

Elaineyross said...

Well I spent months trying to reply and now its working perfectly so go on folks - have a go!