Search This Blog

Friday 2 May 2014

Cliche, anyone? An egg-streme case of the bank holiday blues...

My heart-stopping breakfast egg
 
 
My heart was  in my mouth this morning when I shelled my breakfast egg, which appeared to be emblazoned with a token of love.  What a sight for sore eyes!  The carefully sculpted heart was in just  the right place. Love  is a many splendored thing, so they say, but we all know that  love is blind. Which brings me back to the reason for this post - have you noticed a sudden rash of clichés everywhere?
 
If you think I'm one sandwich short of a picnic today, that's probably because I'm over-egging the pudding to make a very valid point. Listen to the news and almost every hour and you will hear about a 'war-torn' area that is trying to get back on its feet.


I don't want to beat around the bush so I'll say it like it is.  Try avoiding clichés for a few days and see how it fires your imagination.  These ubiquitous phrases tend to pop up in the most surprising places, usually without warning. However, you can take what I say with a pinch of salt because I'm guilty of a multitude of sins and using clichés is just one of them.

 No, I'm not cracking up. If I had my way, clichés would be banned from our televisions and newspapers for the duration of each and every bank holiday weekend. That's three days of plain speaking, three days of saying what we really mean.  Why not try it for yourself?  But don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

 

2 comments:

clo said...

Food for thought......

Guernsey Girl said...

My sentiments egg-actly - thanks for coming over, Clo!