Search This Blog

Thursday 18 October 2012

What is The Next Big Thing?


If you'd like to discover what books you could soon be reading, why not join in The Next Big Thing -  where writers and bloggers discuss their  work-in-progress? Today it's  my turn:

What is the working title of your book?

Sophie’s Secret

Where did the idea come from for the book?

A relative of mine discovered recently that his father was an American GI.    I wanted to show how the birth of an illegitimate  child  impacts on the lives of the generations that follow.

What genre does your book fall under?

Historical fiction 

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a film?

I’d prefer to wait till I’m asked! However, a modern-day Ingrid Bergman would be my ideal protagonist.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

You can change the future - but what if you try to change the past?

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I hope it to have it represented by an agency.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

It will have taken about a year by the time it’s finished.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Novels by Dilly Court and Colette Caddle

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

My inspiration to write has always come from my father, the late Harry Brown, who lost his beloved brother as an evacuee at the outbreak of World War Two, but never lost his sense of humour.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

It’s a love story   spanning two generations,  from the horror of the Coventry blitz  to the emerging 'freedom' of the sixties.

Of the many writers I admire, two will soon be joining me in  The Next Big Thing. They are Gillian Mawson, whose book 'Guernsey Evacuees The Forgotten Story,' out on November 1 (The History Press) is very close to my heart and Linda Mitchelmore whose first historical romance 'To Turn Full Circle ' (Choc Lit) is currently enjoying excellent reviews.  She will be  discussing  her latest work-in-progress 'No Turning Back,' the second book of her  trilogy, this time next week. Look out for more recommendations soon.

Finally - thanks to Jack Barrow http://jackbarrow.blogspot.co.uk/ for his recommendation.



5 comments:

Suzie Tullett said...

Sounds like a great book, Marylin. One that I shall look forward to reading.

With your inspiration being so close to home, did it feel like a personal story as well as a work of fiction?

Guernsey Girl said...

Thanks, Suzie - that's a really interesting question. When I start to write I feel the characters joy and pain so in that sense it's as if it's happening to me. My relatives inspire me to write about events that have touched so many people. As a writer yourself, I know you'll understand.

Dr Dave Evans said...

fascinating, this story is screaming out "film me!" so i look forward to hearing more : )

Linda Mitchelmore said...

I agree with Dr. Dave....or if not a film then a BBC series. Yes, why not? Thinkg big!

Guernsey Girl said...

Thanks Linda - it obviously worked for you!